My Blog Friends

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Genograms

As a family therapist one of the first things that you will do is draw a genogram. A genogram is a picture/model representation of the family that the client/s resides in. These genograms can be as simple as just listing the name  and the family tree. Other genograms can become very complex including things such as relationships, triangles (yesterdays post), drug use, mental health issues, abilities, etc.. These can be very useful in seeing the big picture and the dynamics of the family.

I was looking for an easy tool to do this all on the computer and found this website http://www.genopro.com/free/ that offers a free version of their software. It looks as if it could be very useful in creating the genogram of an individual. You will need to look at the details on the offer and see if it is right for you, but I have high hopes for it.

On Wikipedia  there is a great list of symbols and their meanings. Check it out!

Creating a genogram for our characters can be very useful in helping us identify how they fit into their system. I recommend that you not only do it for the character's family, but the entier system the character is involved in.

6 comments:

  1. That is a cool looking program. Thanks for finding it for us. I am definitely going to try it out on my next set of characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool idea...have def mapped characters before so that i can track the connections easier...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My editor sent me Character Logs to fill out for my characters. Very helpful and helped me from blending traits and making them too generic and like each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek - dread to think about what I'd discover about the connections between my bunch of misfits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still in the dreaming stage of writing..and informative posts like this are very helpful to me. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone find AFFINOGRAPS helpful?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are what help us all learn together.


Friends Meetup Party - the perfect line